Friday, April 4, 2014

The Pianist

Overall, I was shocked by how much I really liked this film. For once, I thought the film was just very real. Adrien Brody truly did an incredible job making us believe that he was sick, starving, and at some points, hopeful. I found it hard to watch in some points, because of the violence and actions, but obviously these need to be shown to understand the horror of the Holocaust. I cannot get over how real this movie seemed to me. I loved the accents, the use of speaking in other languages, the costumes; just everything! Other Holocaust movies show very attractive actors with an American accent, or a slightly mixed Russian sounding accent, with bodies that appear to be healthy and in shape. The director of this movie knew what he was doing when he cast Adrien Brody. This movie honestly seems like a documentary, because it seems so real.

I think in this instance, the Nazi saw a human being, with a soul and a talent, and somehow pushed aside the fact that he was Jewish. It was like he couldn't believe a Jew could be a human being. I think he saw the fear and doom in his eyes, but when he came to life playing piano, I think he realized this was a human being who could be spared. While the logic is somewhat twisted, this is what I imagine. I think that Szpilman trusted Hosenfeld with his life, because also at this moment, he was not a terrible murderer Nazi, but a human being who had treated him individually with kindness and mercy. And truly in this life or death situation, he had no other choice. Sometimes even the worst people have glimmers of good in them.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with everything that Nicole said. Something I also really loved about this movie is how real it was and they never strayed away from showing disturbing scenes. Even though sometimes it was hard to watch, it's necessary to have those parts in the movie to show just how terrible the Holocaust really was, especially so nothing like this ever happens again in the future.

    ReplyDelete