Monday, April 21, 2014

Argo

Even though this is the second time I've seen this movie, I still love love love it. Ben Affleck is amazing. I love all of the actors and actresses, especially the six Americans stuck in Iran. Most of the cast who played CIA members were very known, but it didn't take away from the movie. Honestly, the look of the movie and the costumes, accents, sounds, and feel of the movie added to the amazing script and great production. I think Alan Arkin has this dry wit about him that always makes me laugh, even when discussing a hostage situation. I have been so obsessed with this movie and am so glad we watched it!

I think that Ben Affleck made a movie for Hollywood. He wasn't making a documentary or like an exact retelling of a historical event. So while he did take many liberities with the film, I have no problem with it. While usually that type of thing bothers me, I still think he told the story to a generation that doesn't know that much about this time period. And by saying that it is "based of a real story" isn't a lie because it is a real story. Six Americans really did hide the Canadian Ambassadors home. Yes, he left a good chunk out, but it still made for a great movie. 


I do believe the filmmaker has some responsibility. But we also have to remember that it is the entertainment industry. It is meant to make one thing :money. So while yes, the topic and relationship with Iran is still sensitive, and while he took a lot of time and work to make a though out film, in the end, it's just a movie. It's a very sad world if a relationship with a country is strained because of something on the screen.


4 comments:

  1. I agree with what you mentioned about the film's accuracy compared to what actually happened during the Iran Hostage Crisis; it's not a documentary, and the filmmakers never claimed it was. It's just supposed to be entertaining, as a big Hollywood movie, and if its writers and producers wanted to take creative liberty with the plot then I think that's fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Ben Affleck is amazing!! Also, I totally agree that all the stuff that went into production such as costumes, script etc. made this movie great. Yes, Ben Affleck was making a movie for Hollywood not a documentary that was well said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Nicole about how amazing the movie it was! This was also my second time watching it and it was just as exciting. Ben Affleck did an incredible job and I loved how realistic the movie was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your comment that it is an entertainment industry. If you can't lie a little to make some money then there is no need to make the movie in the first place.

    ReplyDelete