Thursday, February 20, 2014

Cinderella Man

I think that we refer to events as a Cinderella story, because partly the rags to riches, but also because the event was so unlikely, and featured such an underdog, and people are so shocked when it happens. I think the movie was aptly named Cinderella man because he went from dirt poor, to wealthy with his boxing earnings, as well as the fact that he won and he really shouldn't have. Overall, I liked the story, because obviously I want someone to do well, but I really don't like Russell Crowe, so I wasn't always rooting for him. I have a hard time deciding if I like the James Braddock shown in the movie because for me it was just Russell Crowe in great shape, not a new person that I got to learn about. Anyways, I think many people deal with issues of poverty and hunger and I think that they get themselves into sticky situations to try and fix their life. I think they are different today because more people are willing to accept government help, but honestly in some areas jobs are still hard to find and kids are still hungry. I think our children will face the basic poverty and job issues, but I really feel that the government will have gained too much control and invasion of our privacy, so they will be dealing with that.

 I would 100% steal if it depended on the health and wellness of my family. If I was hungry, or my siblings were hungry, and what I was stealing wouldn't physically harm someone else then yes of course I would take something. I think in these situations, morals are complicated because in normal situations I think you should not take something that isn't yours, but in life or death situations I wouldn't even bat an eye.

I understand that his family is upset but honestly it is a Hollywood movie, and the audience needs a villain and a reason to have hope. If they displayed him as a very nice guy, and that the death of the other boxer was an accident, it would take away all the drama and give no real purpose to the fight. The movie needs the villain, and I think it takes away from the story to not have Max portrayed badly, simply because then you have no good reason to cheer for James over Max, if both are nice guys just trying to fight.


I think that it is admirable and pathetic. Admirable in the sense of putting his ego aside and doing what he needs to do to help his family, but also pathetic but he has no pride. It is really a lose-lose situation in my opinion, but he needed the money and needed to support himself and his family. I think that it shows how he is willing to forgive, and sometimes too much, but knows how to act in situations that require him to do something to help someone else.

1 comment:

  1. It's what desperation can do to some people. I enjoyed reading your take on the scene where Braddock goes to MSG to ask for money. Nicely done overall as well!

    ReplyDelete