Monday, February 24, 2014

42

Overall, this film was a home run! I thought every aspect of this movie was well done; the script, the cast, the props. Honestly it was great. I've never seen the actor who played Jackie before, but I thought he did such a good job channeling Jackie's emotions and portraying that to the viewers. It just felt so real to me, how he felt. I also thought that the actors in the movie, some who I've seen in shows like Grey's Anatomy and Suburgatory give great performances in a very heavy film. I think the film had the potential to be to heavy, but they covered all their bases perfectly, and made an excellent movie.

Jackie Robinson lead the way in sports history, as well as general American history. At the time, people were shocked and were going to/did treat him so badly. It was a shock to the American people that someone who isn't white could play professional baseball. But guess what? It's 2014 and Jason Collins just signed with the Brooklyn Nets as the first out, gay NBA player. Michael Sam just came out as a gay football player. These guys are doing what Jackie did, just in different situations. They are breaking down barriers, and in 10 or 20 years, we are going to laugh about the time when sports wasn't filled with gay men. It is the issue of the times, and I think that Jackie truly helped lead the way to break down the barriers. We learn from Jackie tolerance, acceptance, and individual strength that we need to live our life regardless of the people who insist on shutting us down.

I think I would use all of his values in my day to day life as a person. I believe in who he his and his beliefs. Am I the same person and will I have the same barriers to overcome? Absolutely not. I knowingly live a very privileged life where I am so fortunate to not be treated badly because of my religion or skin color or gender. I know that if I drove 20 minutes away, I could be the only Jew. But in life I will have to deal with smaller barriers that with my values I know I can overcome.

I think Jackie is saying that a meaningful, well-lived life is one that made a difference for someone else, and who paved the way. I think what he is saying has some truth, but we also have to remember that the difference we make in someones life can be a small one. Even if for one day you made a difference, it counts. Will I ever break racial barriers in sports? Probably 100% not. But that, to me doesn't mean my life is a waste. If from my opinions and my need to speak out and demand change makes someone, somewhere feel something, or help someone, then I think my life counts. I think we all contribute in our own way, sometimes good and bad. But we all contribute to society in ways that we may not be able to appreciate right now, but in the future we will.

4 comments:

  1. I love that you added information about gay rights and what's happening today. I didn't think of that but you're totally right! We are facing many different but similar things in our country today and hopefully these events will be as influential as what Jackie Robinson accomplished. I also agree that we all contribute in our own way, good and bad. In the future, we will be able to accomplish things that are needed to accomplish. This has been proven by Jackie Robinson himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this post. I could go on and on about the specifics. However, it is your self-awareness that impresses me the most and truly unique for someone your age. I, too, think his quote is a bit strong. Inevitably, you will be the one who defines your life by the way in which you choose to live it. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Nicole's opinion of the actor who played Jackie; he could not have been more perfect. His portrayal of Jackie was so believable and not just because he looked a lot like him. I was so impressed with his acting, he must have done a lot of research and dedication to do such an amazing job as this truly incredible person. It must have been an honor for him to portray such a legend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading Nicole's post and agreed with everything she said. Seeing the movie for the third time, it is still as fabulous as the first time I saw it. Every aspect of it was done so well including the characters and how they portrayed the people they were playing, the costumes, the setting, and the script. I really like how Nicole tied in the movie and the integration of African Americans to major league baseball with current issues today, like athletes coming out as homosexuals.

    ReplyDelete