Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Godfather

Overall, I really like this film. I knew it was a classic and was hoping it would live up to the reputation and legend behind the film. I thought it was very good, and that Marlon Brando and Al Pacino really stole the show with their excellent performances. I thought the plot and storyline were great, but I wish it hadn't been 3 hours. There was just some scenes that I didn't find so crucial to the plot. I also wish we hadn't watched with subtitles because sometimes I felt like I was reading those and not paying attention to the film. But it is such a good movie and truly lives up to the hype.

I think Vito Corleone plays the moral of the story because I don't really see him as a cold-blooded killer. I don't agree with violence in any situation, but I think that Vito does what he needs in order to maintain an ironic sense of justice. I think that he had a distorted sense of right and wrong, but at the same time never hurts an innocent person. I think when he died, all hell broke loose and too much violence broke out. At this point I think that Michael started to kill too many people and became too strict and violent in his actions.

What I learned is that in the sense of Vito, they only hurt and killed in revenge and to get back at someone who wronged someone else. Also I didn't really know that it was possible for the heads of the families to all get together and violence not to erupt. I also thought it was interesting how the police and government were involved and also like turn their heads to the corruption.

I think what makes the film a classic is purely the acting and storyline. The mob and crime families are usually not the norm for most people, so to get an inside look is interesting. But matched with Pacino and Brando in roles that seem born for them, it naturally is a classic film.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on a lot in your blog. I agree that the movie was a little too long to be three hours. I also agree with what you said in the last paragraph about how it is not normal for movies to take a look on the inside of crime families, but it was still interesting to watch.

    ReplyDelete